Troubleshooting guide for Notification Channels on Android 8.0 (and above)
Where can I find notification channels for the Voxer app on Android 8.x?
Go to Phone Settings>Notifications >Voxer
You should see:
1. Group notifications channel
2. Message notifications channel
*Note: Notification channels get created only after the first incoming notification is received.
What is the difference between the two notification channels and why should I care about these notification channels?
Android 8.0 Oreo introduced Notification Channels, or custom app-defined categories for notifications. This allows users to individually control settings for each notification channel.
For example: Voxer users can choose to turn off notifications for group messages and still receive all other messages instead of having to turn off notifications for all incoming messages.
What does each of the settings in the notification channel mean?
- Importance: Urgent will make a sound and show on the screen. High makes a sound. Medium makes no sound. Low makes no sound and gives no indication that it's been received.
- Sound: Set any supported sound as the notification tone for the channel.
- Lights: Whether the notification should trigger a hardware notification light.
- Vibration: Whether the notification should vibrate your phone.
- Show on lock screen: Decide if a notification should appear on the lock screen.
- Override do not disturb: Decide if a notification should bypass any do not disturb settings for sounds. Our Voxer app is currently designed to bypass any do not disturb settings for sounds. So toggling this to off has no effect.
Why don’t I hear the Voxer chirp when a notification comes in?
- Make sure you have the latest version of the app.
- Go Phone Settings>Notifications >Voxer. Then go to Message notifications >Sound and set it to “None”
- You can do the above for Group notifications as well if you want the Voxer chirp for group messages
- Then got to Voxer app Settings >Notifications - Notification tone in the Voxer app and ensure that it is set to “Voxer Default”
Why can’t I see “Sound” in system app settings for a notification channel when I am trying to resolve the issue above?
In Phone Settings >Notifications >Voxer notifications make sure “Importance” is set to either “Urgent” or “High”. (A “low’ or “medium” setting will hide the “Sound” option.
Can I go back to Voxer chirp notification sound if I had previously changed it to something else in the Voxer app settings?
Unfortunately, the only way to go back to Voxer chirp is by uninstalling and reinstalling the app. A fix is on the way!
I don’t want to hear the Voxer chirp when a notification comes in. How do I change that?
Go to Phone Settings>Notifications->Voxer->Message notifications ->Sound and pick any available ringtone from the list except “None”.
You can do the same for Notifications->Group notifications as well.
Please sign in to leave a comment.